Petersen Automotive Museum
Position: School & Tour Services Coordinator
The Petersen Automotive Museum is a nonprofit organization whose mission is to explore and present the history of the automobile and its impact on American life and culture using Los Angeles as the prime example. Located in the heart of Los Angeles’ famed Miracle Mile district, the Petersen Automotive Museum is one of the world’s largest and most innovative automotive museums.
The School & Tour Services Coordinator is responsible for managing the Museum’s programs and services for schools, teachers, and volunteers. The School & Tour Services Coordinator is also responsible for managing the public tour programs and managing and training volunteer docents.
• Manages all aspects of the planning, development, and administration of school and teacher programs, including school visits, teacher previews, professional development workshops and other services.
• Develops written and on-line curricular and school visit materials for the permanent collection and changing exhibitions.
• Coordinates the Museum’s tour programs that serve a wide range of audiences including schools, car clubs and other organized groups with administrative assistance from the Education Program Scheduling Assistant.
• Trains docents to lead tours in galleries.
• Manages the Museum’s volunteer program, including the recruitment, training, placement, retention, supervision and evaluation of volunteers.
• Serves as the primary liaison between the Museum staff and volunteers.
• Maintains and updates the policies and procedures of the volunteer program and provides volunteers with clear instructions and guidelines.
• Oversees volunteer meetings, fieldtrips, special events and projects including the annual volunteer appreciation dinner and monthly volunteer meetings.
• Assists the Education Manager in the development and implementation of on- and off-site educational programs, community outreach programs, as well as educational literature and publications.
• Assists the Education Manager in preparation of the annual budget for school and tour programs.
• Available to represent the Museum at off-site meetings.
• Performs administrative duties related to scheduling tours and volunteer shifts.
Education, Experience, and Skills Required:
• Bachelor’s Degree in Education, Museum Studies, History, Sociology, or related field preferred.
• 2 years in a museum or informal education setting, or other relevant experience.
• 1 year experience managing or supervising volunteers or staff.
• Classroom or gallery teaching experience desired.
• Able to work varied hours including evenings or weekends depending on program needs.
• Outgoing, self-motivated person who enjoys working with volunteers and teachers.
• Excellent interpersonal skills, attention to detail, and a willingness to work as a member of a team.
• Excellent written and oral communication and customer service skills.
To apply, please fax or email cover letter and resume with salary history to: Petersen Automotive Museum, HR Dept., 6060 Wilshire Blvd., Los Angeles, CA 90036, or fax to (323)930-6642 or email email@example.com
Please mention the tile of the position you are applying for in the subject line of your email.