Summer Internship, Curatorial Department
Title: Curatorial Intern
Number of positions: 2
Compensation: Unpaid; No housing provided.
Time Commitment: 200-350 Hours (10 weeks, 20 hrs per week minimum), between June 1- August 17, Monday-Friday, 9:00-3:00
The museum internship program at the Herbert Hoover Presidential Library – Museum offers real world museum experience to students interested in pursuing a career within the field. The internship is restricted to upper level undergraduate and graduate students. We assign a variety of collections and exhibits related projects to our interns. Within the sphere of collections, interns work on a variety of tasks, such as data-entry, cataloging, assessing storage conditions, cleaning, inventorying and condition reporting; geared to impart knowledge on proper collections management practices. Our interns also spend some time on exhibit related projects, such as exhibit installation, label writing, mount-making, lighting, environmental monitoring,
and assisting with artifact loans.
Summer interns are encouraged to participate in Hoover's Hometown Days August 3-4, 2012.
Supervision: Melanie Stimmel, Assistant Curator (Marcus Eckhardt, Curator and Jennifer
· Interest in working with museum collections.
· Intern should be detail oriented, organized, and able to work independently.
· Must be able to work as a team and accept constructive criticism.
· Must be able to climb stairs and ladders.
· Must be able to lift 50 lbs.
· Average or above average level of computer literacy (Skills in Photoshop, Illustrator,
Word, Excel, Access, and a collection database would be an advantage but is not
· Must be eager to learn and ask questions.
Note: Dress code is business casual to smart casual.
· Intern is responsible for own transportation and housing.
Application materials are due by March 30, 2012
To apply, send cover letter, resume, and at least two references to
Melanie Stimmel, Assistant Curator, 210 Parkside Drive, P.O. Box 488, West Branch, IA 52358 OR e-mail the above information to firstname.lastname@example.org.