JOB APPLY URL:
FAST FORWARD TO YOUR NEXT MISSION
Integrity, confidence, discipline and commitment define your career in Battelle’s National Security Division. Battelle was built on a firm foundation of honesty, integrity, and outstanding service and the work we do in national security impacts lives around the world; whether we’re creating armor for military applications, testing a life-saving vaccine, or developing a more efficient hydrogen fuel cell. At Battelle, we reward the best work with more responsibility, positions to grow and develop, and the opportunity to make a positive impact on the world. Are YOU ready for your Next Mission?
Our National Security Global Business Area is currently seeking a Principal Industrial Hygienist. This position is located in Dayton, Ohio.
The position will work within the Medical Research and Response Product Line which specializes in support for public health and occupational health programs. The purpose of this position is to provide clients, primarily DoD and federal agencies, with effective medical, public health and senior leader preparedness for a wide variety of topics. These topics include, but are not limited to, occupational health hazards, toxic industrial chemicals, emerging diseases and other health risks impacting mission requirements.
The Principal Industrial Hygienist will author technical reports, prepare education and training course materials, provide instruction and performance evaluations, and conduct industrial hygiene evaluations of workplaces and operations to ensure the overall health and safety of employees and compliance with applicable regulations. These evaluations involve anticipating, recognizing, evaluating and recommending controls for a wide variety of occupational and environmental health hazards.
Compensation will be based on qualifications and experience. A full benefits package will be provided. Relocation support is not available.
Specific Position Responsibilities
Project Management: Plan and manage projects from inception to completion utilizing good business practices and sound project management principles, Battelle guidelines and resources to provide quality products within task scope, resources and timelines in the technology areas of industrial hygiene, occupational, environmental and public health response and countermeasures to chemical, biological, radiological and nuclear (CBRN) hazards.
Business Development: Develop and execute new business opportunities. Develop marketing presentations focused on client needs and Battelle capabilities. Maintain relationships with key clients and coordinate activities with the MRR Research Leader and other appropriate Battelle business development staff. Explore opportunities with additional clients.
Consultation and Coordination: Provide quality products by developing an understanding of the greater Battelle capability, directing tasks for execution within Battelle to best support the client, and participating in matrixed staff support for project execution across the National Security business areas. Within established organizational framework, train, mentor and guide staff to execute projects from business development successes.
Serve as industrial hygiene and occupational, environmental and public health consultant in the MRR Product Line, providing CBRN hazard response planning, health-related vulnerability assessments, and force health protection consultations to leading DoD, federal, state and industrial clients.
Management and leadership of industrial hygiene and occupational, environmental and public health tasks may be required such as performing surveys, equipment evaluations, process hazard analyses, operational risk management assessments, and corrective actions.
Training Development and Delivery: Develop, instruct, and facilitate technical seminars, workshops, discussion groups, education and training courses, and tabletop and field exercises in all areas of CBRN hazards, response planning, and operations for military installations and medical facilities.
Risk Assessment: Provide technical and analytical support in planning CBRN passive defense, consequence management, force health protection and military operational risk management. Develop force health protection and incident response guidelines by authoring technical guidance documents that address health risk communication and mitigation.
- At least 6 years U.S. Uniformed Services experience in industrial hygiene, occupational health or safety engineering.
- Bachelor’s degree from an accredited university in industrial hygiene, occupational health, safety engineering or related field.
- Experience in CBRN health hazard assessment in an operational or field environment.
- Experience in occupational health and safety or industrial hygiene program management.
- Secret security clearance or eligible for secret clearance or able to obtain and maintain a security clearance at the Secret level.
- Strong written and verbal communication skills.
- Ability to coordinate and manage multiple projects while meeting technical requirements, budgets, and deadlines.
- Willingness to travel to client locations worldwide, on an as-needed basis.
- Physically capable of performing the essential job functions of an industrial hygienist at a work site while wearing personal protective equipment, to include respiratory protection. It is envisioned that wearing PPE will be an infrequent but necessary requirement of the job.
- At least 6 years experience in Air Force bioenvironmental engineering
- Master’s degree from an accredited university in industrial hygiene, public health, occupational health and safety or safety engineering OR Certified Industrial Hygienist (CIH) OR Certified Safety Professional (CSP) OR licensed as a Professional Engineer (PE).
- Experience supervising professional and/or technical staff and employees working at remote field sites.
- Proficiency with the Defense Occupational and Environmental Health Readiness System – Industrial Hygiene (DOEHRS-IH).
- Familiarity with USAFSAM curriculum development using the Instructional Systems Development (ISD) approach
- Possess a Secret security clearance.
- Ability to obtain and maintain Department of Defense Top Secret security clearance.
Battelle is an Affirmative Action/Equal Opportunity Employer and supports diversity in the workplace. Applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability, veteran status, marital status, or sexual orientation. For more information about our other openings, please visit www.battelle.org/careers.
JOB CATEGORY: Scientific (Biology, Chemistry, Environmental, Non-engineering)
v2 JOB CATEGORY: Environmental Scientist or Specialist, Including Health
EMPLOYMENT TYPE: Employee
SALARY RANGE: 0-0
--LOCATION OF JOB--
ZIP CODE: 45401
JOB# (REQUISITION NO): 2278