REPORTS TO: Supervisor or Manager, Histology
Independently perform basic histology laboratory procedures. Assist with specialized histology procedures. Review data for quality control.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Perform basic histology procedures independently (trimming, processing, embedding, microtomy, staining, coverslipping).
- Assist with and perform advanced histology procedures (slide QC, special stains, thin/thick sections, IHC, serial/step sectioning).
- Review laboratory documents for accuracy, completeness and compliance with Standard Operating Procedures (SOPs), Good Laboratory Practices (GLPs), and study specific requirements.
- Assist in training of staff junior to this position.
- Assist in the preparation of responses, deviations and other documentation resulting from internal and external reviews and/or audits.
- May assist with basic necropsy procedures (basic dissection, tissue collection/preservation, fresh tissue trimming).
- May cross-train in other areas of pathology and/or other laboratory departments (flow cytometry, clinical pathology, special pathology, bioanalytical, reproductive toxicology, etc.).
- Perform all other related duties as assigned.
- Education: High school diploma or General Education Degree (G.E.D.) required. Bachelor’s degree (B.A./B.S.) or equivalent in a biological science preferred.
- Experience: 2 years of pathology laboratory experience.
- An equivalent combination of education and experience may be accepted as a satisfactory substitute for the specific education and experience listed above.
- Certification/Licensure: HT (ASCP) or HLT (ASCP) preferred.
- Other: Placement at this level requires successful completion/competency of the required tasks of the position preceding this level and continued ability to perform those tasks are required. Must be able to perform effectively as a team member, accurately record data, follow verbal and written instructions, maintain a positive work atmosphere, communicate effectively, and interact in a professional manner with management, coworkers, and sponsors. Experience with computer software programs is required.
- Employees must be able to lift, move, manipulate, and/or hold heavy objects up to and including 50 pounds; this includes work materials, equipment, and/or animals.
- Must be able to perform laboratory procedures, which require, talking, hearing, standing or sitting for long periods of time, entering data into a computer, using appropriate instruments, reaching with hands and arms, working in narrow spaces, and wearing safety equipment (PPE) according to OSHA regulations and company standards.
- Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision, color vision, depth perception, and the ability to adjust focus.
Works in a research laboratory environment, which requires use of sharp objects, working around mechanical parts, working with or near known or unknown toxic or caustic chemicals and/or biological hazards, exposure to fumes and airborne particles, working at noise levels ranging from quiet to moderately noisy.
May occasionally work weekend/holidays and/or rotating on-call schedule.
All employees are required to satisfactorily perform the essential duties and responsibilities of their position. • The essential duties and responsibilities listed above are not intended to be construed as an exhaustive list of all responsibilities, duties and skills required. • Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions of this job.
External applicants will need to go to: www.criver.com to apply (will not be available for about a week). We no longer have applicants come on-site to complete job applications. Please feel free to contact anyone that you know who has the needed capabilities.
Charles River is an equal opportunity affirmative action employer. It is our policy not to discriminate against qualified applicants and employees on the basis of race, color, religion, sex, age, national origin, disability, or status as a Vietnam era or special disabled veteran with respect to recruitment, hiring, promotion, or any other form, condition of privilege of employment