JOB APPLY URL:
FAST FORWARD TO YOUR NEXT MISSION
Integrity, confidence, discipline and commitment define your career in Battelle's National Security Global Business. Battelle was built on a firm foundation of honesty, integrity, and outstanding service and the work we do in national security impacts lives around the world; whether we're creating armor for military applications, testing a life-saving vaccine, or developing a more efficient hydrogen fuel cell. At Battelle, we reward the best work with more responsibility, positions to grow and develop, and the opportunity to make a positive impact on the world. Are YOU ready for your Next Mission?
Our National Security Global Business is currently seeking a Dynamics Systems Engineer. This position is located in Columbus, OH.
Compensation will be based on qualifications and experience. A full benefits package including health, dental, vision, and life insurance, 401k, and pension plan will be provided. Limited relocation support is available.
- Provide technical support (engineering and analysis) for Battelle's Structural Life Extension team whose primary mission is to extend the structural life of our client's existing hardware systems. Initially individual will work under the supervision of a senior level dynamics systems engineer, but are expected (3 to 5 years) grow into the role of lead dynamics systems engineer.
- In addition, individual will grow into the role of providing technical support in the area of instrumentation/data acquisition.
- Individual will work with senior staff in identifying project opportunities, developing cost and time estimates, writing proposals, performing or directing technical activities, writing reports, and preparing and delivering presentations to clients and internal executive staff.
- Individual will perform analytical studies involving the developing of equations of motion that describe the dynamic behavior of a vehicle, structure, or machine; programming the equations in a suitable code, and planning and conducting simulation studies.
- Individual will support laboratory and field test programs involving the installation of instrumentation, collection of data, and analysis of that data, typically for the purposes of characterizing the loading environment, evaluating dynamic behavior, failure analyses, and/or qualification.
- Individual will support equipment development teams in developing effective shock and vibration isolation systems for operation in hostile environments
- Individual will work closely with structural integrity analysis teams in failure analyses of a wide range of mechanical systems.
- Individual will be a key member of field test teams for dynamic testing of vehicles.
- Proven verbal and written communication skills.
- Moderate travel required (not likely to exceed 25%).
- Master of Science degree in Mechanical Engineering, Engineering Mechanics, or related discipline
- Strong computer programming skills with a demonstrated knowledge and understanding of such codes as MatLab, FORTRAN and C++
- Demonstrated ability to develop analytical models of dynamic systems from first principles
- Familiarity with commercial software for dynamic simulation, e.g., TruckSim/CarSim, VDANL, ADAMS, ACSL
- Formal training in and solid understanding of vibration theory, rigid body dynamics, and classical mechanics
- Self-motivated, high energy person with excellent verbal and written communications skills.
- Ability to work independently with minimal management supervision or direction.
- Ability to effectively communicate with a wide variety of individuals from technicians to executive level staff both verbally and through the writing.
- Ability to be flexible with organizational workload demands and changing requirements.
- Ability to work on long term and short term projects simultaneously; proven multi-tasking ability.
- Proven cross-functional collaboration, teamwork, and solid decision making skills.
- Must be a U.S. Citizen OR Naturalized U.S. Citizen
- PhD in Mechanical Engineering, Engineering Mechanics, or related discipline
- 2 to 5 years experience with instrumentation and computerized data acquisition systems dynamic systems analysis
- 2 to 5 years experience in control theory and signal processing
- Experience/familiarity in seismic design analysis
- Familiarity with military standards for testing
- Experience in vehicle testing and analysis
- Experience in using LabView for data acquisition and signal processing
- Familiarity with damage mechanics concepts to include fatigue, fracture, and corrosion analysis
- Experience in business development, i.e., marketing innovative solutions, writing proposals, and technical publications.
- US Citizen with the ability to obtain and maintain security clearances.
Battelle's competitive benefits program includes comprehensive medical and dental care, matching 401K, employee pension, tuition reimbursement, work/life balance, paid time off, flexible spending accounts, disability coverage, and other benefits that help provide financial protection for you and your family.
Battelle is an Affirmative Action/Equal Opportunity Employer and supports diversity in the workplace. Applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability, veteran status, marital status, or sexual orientation. For more information about our other openings, please visit www.battelle.org/careers.
JOB CATEGORY: Computers
v2 JOB CATEGORY: Computer and Information Scientist, Research
EMPLOYMENT TYPE: Employee
SALARY RANGE: 0-0
--LOCATION OF JOB--
ZIP CODE: 43201
JOB# (REQUISITION NO): 2406