We are seeking a skillful, energetic reporter who can provide comprehensive coverage of local and national military news. Candidates must demonstrate the ability to cover breaking news with vigor and produce top-notch enterprise stories worthy of Page 1 consideration. They must have a proven record of cultivating sources, spotting trends, and know how to make sense of complicated matters for the benefit of our readers. Candidates must be able to work with other reporters and provide excerpts of stories to our associated radio and TV operations. Applicants must submit resume, cover letter and work samples.
· Cover local and national news concerning the nation’s military, particularly the Air Force and National Guard
· Produce strong A1-worthy stories about the men, women and organizations that assist in our nation’s defense and provide services to local veterans.
· Bachelor of Arts degree in Journalism or a related field
· At least three years experience reporting for a daily newspaper
· Ability to work in team environment
Key Communities Reporter
Wanted – a game-changing reporter who can write spot news stories, has the ability to cultivate deep sources, produce scoops, originate news and ferret out surprising feature stories.
The position is a beat reporter job and could include coverage of schools, government, business and public safety. The successful candidate will be an experienced reporter with the ability to write with flair about everything from crime and police reporting to government fraud and abuse.
The job also requires an ability to work closely with others including reporters from other Cox media. Candidates should be self-starters with at least three years of reporting experience in daily journalism.
We are a paper that values strong reporting and good writing, and the reporter we hire will have an established record of producing those stories for page 1. Show me how you’ve taken a B story and made it an A. Give me an example of digging into a story and not quitting until you hit pay dirt. Applicants must submit resume, cover letter and work.
Inside Sales Media Consultant
The Inside Sales Media Consultant is responsible for combining skills to handle an account base of active advertisers while also focusing on new business, revenue and market share growth via outbound calling over the phone to lists of targeted and non-targeted developmental accounts. Outbound calling efforts will focus on specific products or projects. This position will sell the full line of Cox Media Group products including newspaper, online, direct mail, commercial print and other niche product opportunities.
Human Resources Manager
The Human Resource Manager serves as a key business partner and provides a variety of human resources consulting services to an assigned client group in collaboration with the Regional HR VP. This role will provide HR support and expertise in the core functional areas of Human Resources with a major focus on employee relations but will also provide insight and solutions that add value and advance the mission, vision and business objectives of the organization. This role implements tactical and strategic HR programs and is responsible for continuously evaluating and optimizing operational efficiencies and promoting excellence in customer service. Incumbent will have foundational knowledge of Organization Development including change management, organizational restructurings, and performance assessments. This position will support Radio locations in: Dayton, OH Richmond, VA; Louisville, KY; Long Island, NY; Milford, CT and TV stations in Dayton, OH and Charlotte, NC. The central office is located in Dayton, Ohio the location of the position is to be determined.
· Serve as the principal HR contact and expert for assigned clients and apply HR concepts to support the needs of the clients.
· Build credibility with business partners by demonstrating an understanding of the business strategy and challenges, aligning the departments’ short-term and long-term people goals with the business strategy, and facilitating and implementing initiatives to assist the business in achieving success.
· Ensure compliance with all federal/state/local employment laws, and regulations (unemployment, OSHA/safety, worker’s compensation, affirmative action, FMLA etc.)
· Analyze employee relations issues; investigate employee complaints, including complex matters, consult with legal and senior leadership as appropriate and make sound, timely recommendations for management action and follow-through to ensure closure.
· Influence business partners consistently follow appropriate procedures and properly document employee relations matters/investigations.
· Communicate with and educate assigned clients on CMG human resources policies and procedures.
· Champion change and effectively guide business partners and employees through organizational change.
· Coach all levels of managers on how to develop their employees and improve performance. Assists with creation and execution of development plans.
· Facilitate leadership team development; coach and counsel leaders on communication planning and processes, performance management, and organizational effectiveness among others.
· Consult on strategic initiatives, including strategy, technology, structure, process and people issues.
· Support and facilitate effective recruitment/retention strategies that focus on diversity in collaboration with hiring managers.
· Improve and streamline operations through the continuous assessment of policies, procedures and program effectiveness/value, leveraging technology whenever possible.
· Bachelor’s degree in related field or equivalent experience
· Minimum of five (5) to seven( 7) years of HR experience, with a minimum of (3)years in HR Manager or comparable role supporting client groups of 500+ employees
· Strong employee relations background
· Experience performing in a multi-site/multi-state environment is preferred
PHR or SPHR certification a plus
Specific Knowledge, Skills, Abilities and Competencies:
· Technical HR knowledge, e.g., employment laws, FLSA, FMLA, employee/labor relations, staffing and selection, performance management, training and development.
· Knowledge of HR best practices and demonstrated success working as a HR strategic partner or consultant.
· Experience with employee development and coaching for results.
· Strong organizational and leadership skills and demonstrated ability to manage conflicting priorities.
· Knowledge of management principles and practices with demonstrated leadership and team building abilities.
· Ability to proactively identify and diagnose business needs and deliver relevant solutions.
· Ability to prioritize and deliver results against a work plan in a fast-paced environment, giving attention to detail even under high pressure situations.
· Excellent communication skills, both written and oral and ability to work with little or no supervision.
· Demonstrated analytical and problem solving skills.
· Ability to identify organizational development needs and deliver relevant training as needed.
Legal/Obit Customer Service Reps (2 – PT)
Cox Media Group Ohio seeks two part time legal/obit customer service representatives to facilitate legal/obituary advertising and legal/obituary advertising processes through the use of evolving technical systems and tools.
Higher Education Reporter
Dayton Daily News is seeking a talented reporter who can provide comprehensive coverage of area colleges, trade schools, etc. Candidates must demonstrate the ability to produce quality enterprise and will cover breaking news as needed. Applicants must submit resume, cover letter and work samples.